George R. James was appointed to the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System on May 14, 1923. He was reappointed in 1931 and served until February 3, 1936.
James was born in Memphis, Tennessee, in 1866. He was educated in public schools. In 1886, he started work as secretary of James and Graham Wagon Company. He became the company’s president in 1889.
In 1910, James became president of the State National Bank of Memphis. When this bank consolidated with Central Bank & Trust Company in 1912 to form the Central State National Bank, James became the new bank’s vice president. He left in 1915 to become president of William R. Moore Dry Goods Company.
James served in a variety of governmental positions. He was a member of the Memphis City Council, the chief of cotton and cotton linter section of the War Industries Board, and a member of the industrial board of the Department of Commerce. Additionally, James was a trustee of Peabody College for Teachers, and a mason.
James was married in 1888. He died in 1937.
Written by the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System. See disclaimer.